Thursday 21 May 2015

A Most Wanted Man
Dir: Anton Corbijn
2014
***
Anton Corbijn is one of my favorite photographers and it is no surprise that every composition in A Most Wanted Man is beautiful and near perfect. John le Carré is a brilliant political/crime writer and as much as I liked this adaptation, it was no Tinker Tailor Solder Spy. The pace was fairly slow, a move that I welcomed as a fast paced thriller wouldn't have been appropriate to his style of writing but there were times when it dragged quite dreadfully. The few action sequences were no where near as exciting as some of the espionage dialogue, as it should be, but if anything they let the film down and seemed unnecessary on retrospect. I can't say I was that enamored by the supporting cast either, it does have however, a brilliant performance from the late Philip Seymour Hoffman. It is the last of his films released in his lifetime and he could have done a lot worse as swansongs go.

No comments:

Post a Comment