Monday 11 May 2015

Law Of Desire
Dir: Pedro Almodóvar
1987
*****
Although I was never truly convinced by the characters in Pedro Almodóvar's 1987 romantic drama Law Of Desire, it was mainly down to the writing and not the performances themselves. Maybe I'd overdosed on Almodóvar having watched 3 of his films in just a few days but it didn't matter too much as I actually regard this film as one of my favourites of his. It seems like yet another change in direction but at the same time still very much his style of film, I guess that's the mark of a true inspirational director, unlike Bigas Luna who is often compared with Almodóvar, he continually proves he's no one trick pony. Another boundary crossed and another walled pulled down, Almodóvar is probably one of the most important directors of the 20th Century.

No comments:

Post a Comment