Monday 18 May 2015

Le Donk & Scor-zay-zee
Dir: Shane Meadows
2009
**
2009's Le Donk & Scor-zay-zee isn't as fun to watch as I'm sure it was to make. Buddies, Shane Meadows and Paddy Considine look like they're having a great time but the film is all in-jokes between the two and unless you know them, why would anyone want to watch two mates you don't know messing about? Meadows is a great director but I think he's making a mistake with this whole 'Make a film in seven days' manifesto business. Scorz-ayz-ee is a actually quite a cool character, up for a laugh but ultimately taken advantage of somewhat. Also, it's not very funny or particularly original. Not sure why it's praised so much, many state that Shane Meadows can do no wrong but as much as I love him I have to disagree. It's like he's gone back to his early work that wasn't very good and forgotten about the most recent successful films he's had, I think he's subconsciously self-destructing with the worry of selling out. I really hope I'm wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment