Wednesday 6 May 2015



Men in Black 3
Dir: Barry Sonnenfeld
2012
****
The first Men in Black film wasn't really my cup of Tea when it first came out but I changed my mind over the years. I think it was the hype, publicity, the Will Smith theme song etc that didn't interest me and ultimately put me off before I even saw the film. The second film was a soulless cash in. So I can't say I was that excited when I heard they were making a third film, I thought that Smith, Jones and Sonnenfeld probably needed the money. I'm glad to say I was not just pleasantly surprised but shocked at how good the film turned out. It seems that it takes three films for people to really sort themselves out these days, the third film is supposed to be the rotten one but not so of recent years. Everyone was on good form but Josh Brolin as a young Tommy Lee-Jones was an inspired choice and I didn't even realise it was Jemaine Clement as Boris until right at the end, what a fantastic character. Michael Stuhlbarg was also a really good inclusion to the cast. It's the strong characters and little details that the previous film was lacking that this film has in spades that make MIBIII not just the best of the trilogy but a brilliant film in its own right. I think they should leave it alone now, it was such a great ending and the story has sort of come full circle but if the writing is as strong as it is here, then long may it continue.

No comments:

Post a Comment