Monday 11 May 2015



My Dog Tulip
Dir: Paul Fierlinger, Sandra Fierlinger
2010
*****
Although My Dog Tulip will appeal to Dog lovers for obvious reasons, it will also appeal more to fans of J.R. Ackerley and great British literature in general. I haven't yet read the book but I have read 'We think the world of you' and it now seems obvious that Evie the German shepherd from that story was based on the real life Tulip, which excited me quite a bit as it is one of my favourite books of all time. My Dog Tulip is a warts and all story about dogs; dogs bark, they jump up at you, they poo and do other such uncivilised things. They do not talk, skateboard or wear baseball hats as Hollywood would have you believe. Everything about this animated adaptation is perfect, Paul and Sandra Fierlinger are obviously very passionate about the novel and have made a wonderful animated adaptation that wouldn't have sounded appealing at all had I not seen it. Their illustrations bring the story to life and Christopher Plummer's narration is exactly as I heard Ackerley's voice when I read his book. It is perfection, I wouldn't change a thing and it is now quite firmly in my favourite films of all time.

No comments:

Post a Comment