Thursday 7 May 2015

Son of Batman
Dir: Ethan Spaulding
2014
***
Loosely based on Grant Morrison's graphic novel, Son of Batman is good, but no where near as good as the source material. Why they would change anything in this adaption is beyond me (well, maybe the Ninja Bats), I can only imagine there were copyright issues as the violence and adult content are still present. I like the idea that Damien is born from Batman and two of his enemies; Talia his mother and Ra Al Ghul his Grandfather. To be fair the comic is a complicated one and the animated version is simplified and easy to watch as a one off. The animation is stronger than it has been for a while in DC's animated films and there is a certain maturity about it that is also a long time coming in this sub-franchise. Jason O'Mara wouldn't have been my first choice of voice actor for Batman, I guess Kevin Conroy was busy, but he did a fairly good job all the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment