Thursday 7 May 2015



Super
Dir: James Gunn
2011
**
It was only after I watched Super did I realise that it was directed by James Gunn of Troma fame it make a little bit more sense to me. I understood the humour a little more and where he was coming from, Troma humour is fairly obvious but they're too ridiculous to be considered 'dark comedies', Super is a brave and original film, but I still didn't really like it. Never before has a really wonderful scene been followed by such an horrific one and for me that is one of the reasons I think Super misses the mark spectacularly. It's never quite being a comedy, never quite being a serious drama. I'm not sure it wanted to be taken too seriously but then again, it really wasn't very funny and there is really no balance to it like in other films in the sub-genre (not-quite-a-super-hero comedies). There is a lot I love about it but equally there is a lot I hate about it. It's somewhere between Kick-ass and Defendor but not as good as either with Defendor coming out on top by a clear mile in my opinion. I'm really not sold on this one but from Troma, to this (a big financial loss), to Guardians of the Galaxy, how on earth did Gunn do it?

No comments:

Post a Comment