Friday 1 May 2015

The Deep Blue Sea
Dir: Terence Davies
2011
****
Terence Davies's version of The Deep Blue Sea is dreamy, blurred and woozy. It's almost like a theatrical daydream. I didn't dig it at first if I'm being honest but it really is a slow-burner and one I ended up loving. The story is tragic, melancholy and depressing - my kind of film, but it does also have a lighter and beautiful side. The script is perfect. Some of the lines are are absolute gold "Love is wiping someone else's arse.." etc. The actors at first seemed unsuitable but towards the end I realised why they were cast, there was something unspecific about their performances that worked. Tom Hiddleston is impressive but Rachel Weisz steals the show somewhat. It's a strange one, hard to explain really but I would strongly recommend.

No comments:

Post a Comment