Friday 29 May 2015

You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger
Dir: Woody Allen
2010
*
It's nice to see a Woody Allen film shot in London, it's just a shame that You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger wasn't a very good one. I saw none of him in this film and I disliked the cast of actors that I generally and usually like, in this immensely. I do wish Allen would stop trying so hard to do European cinema, Vicky Cristina Barcelona was good but again, it felt like it was an imitation of modern Spanish cinema. I guess sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't but I feel it is wearing a little thin and often feels unauthentic (although Midnight in Paris was a return to form). Quality not quantity please Mr. Allen, and without wanting to sound too harsh, we have a couple of directors by the names of Mike Leigh and Ken Loach who do these kinds of film over here and they do them far better. That might sound a bit harsh but I'm afraid I was bored to tears during this film and the idea of either Leigh or Loach doing a New York equivalent is just as unappealing.

No comments:

Post a Comment