Monday 8 June 2015

A Letter to Elia
Dir: Kent Jones, Martin Scorsese
2010
****
A Letter to Elia is what it says it is, although it is actually more of a thank you/love letter. Elia Kazan is a fascinating character in the history of cinema and was/is obviously a huge influence to Martin Scorsese as well as other big name directors with such works as On the Waterfront, Panic in the Streets, A Streetcar Named Desire, East of Eden to name but a few under his belt. It certainly makes me want to look into his work myself, the clips of his own work and interviews has intrigued me. Sometimes it's nice to see other enthusiast's enthusiasms and Scorsese's passion is somewhat infectious, so even if you're not a big film fan I would recommended this documentary to just about anybody and I'd wager you'll get hooked instantly. A beautiful and fitting tribute to a great pioneer.

No comments:

Post a Comment