Monday 1 June 2015

Dark Shadows
Dir: Tim Burton
2012
**
Dark Shadows' visuals; direction, costume, make-up, set etc are second to none and as great as you'd expect from the legendary Tim Burton but everything else is underwhelming. Tim Burton used to be a name you could depend on but the tides have turned somewhat as at this stage he has more disappointing films in his portfolio than he has great ones. It's not all bad, there are a few really nice scenes but I just expected more, although I'm not so sure why anymore. Dark Shadows didn't make it to the UK so I was unaware of it existence, I don't know whether knowledge of the original is integral to ones enjoyment, I'm afraid I can't possibly comment. Every director that has worked as long as Burton deserves their indulgences now and again but I think this was a career misfire. Johnny Depp is also a Pony in need of some new tricks, as brilliant as the pear have been in the past, it maybe time they spend a time apart.

No comments:

Post a Comment