Tuesday 23 June 2015

Factory Girl
Dir: George Hickenlooper
2007
****
I really liked George Hickenlooper's Factory Girl but from what I can tell it sounds as if I'm in the minority. Sure the editing is a little muddled and it's a little bit all over the place but I think that it actually works quite well (especially if you've seen any of Warhol's films). Sienna Miller is brilliant in her portrayal of Edie Sedgwick, I really think she has been treated badly in the press and in casting, she is a rare talent that is being wasted in my opinion. I really hope she gets more action over the next few years, I believe she's destined to be top of the game soon. Guy Pearce is equally impressive as Warhol and is just as good as David Bowie in my opinion (Basquiat, 1996). Hayden Christensen is the only problem in this film. His performance is an impression rather than a performance or interpretation and it's not a particularly good one at that. 
George Hickenlooper is a director you can rely on. His documentaries are great and this film has just the right balance of both. At an hour and a half, the information is crammed in and there is more to tell about the Factory but as an insight into the life of Sedgwick I think it's pretty much spot on.

No comments:

Post a Comment