Friday 12 June 2015

Harry Brown
Dir: Daniel Barber
2009
****
Daniel Barber's debut is a highly underrated future classic in my opinion. What Get Carter was to the early 70's, Harry Brown is to the late 00's, indeed, it almost feels like what could have happened to Jack Carter if he had survived to his 80s. There is so much more to this film to label it as just another revenge flick though, it really is a refection on parts of today's society. I would liken it more to a film like Straw Dogs rather than lazily call it the 'British Gran Torino' as I've heard others do. Michael Caine is good at everything he does but he gives the role credibility, he isn't Jack Carter and it isn't a gimmick. The only thing I dislike about this film is that it furthered Ben Drew's (Plan B) acting career, something I don't think needs encouragement. It's bloody brilliant and highly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment