Tuesday 2 June 2015


Jamón Jamón
Dir: Bigas Luna
1992
****
I think I probibly prefer Jamon Jamon to most of Lunas's films because it is erotic and sexy without the tastelessness he is often guilty of (see Ages of Lulu). First off, this film made me want to go to Spain, it really is quite seductive. It's also quite funny (nude bullfighting anyone?) That said, it's not an Almodovar film. I know that may seem like an obvious and somewhat lazy comparison but it is hard not to compare the two directors. The acting is spot on, Penelope Cruz and Javier Bardem are both brilliant and it is easy to see why the world suddenly took notice of them both. I didn't care for the story at times however, and I have to say I did have issues with the possible animal cruelty here (I hope I'm wrong). It was funny but not laugh out loud funny. The conclusion was a little too predictable and a little farcical for my liking but still, I liked it. It is more than just Penelope Cruz and Javier Bardem having sex with each other anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment