Tuesday 23 June 2015

King of California
Dir: Mike Cahill
2007
****
Mike Cahill's King of California was a gem, lurking in the bargain bin of my local supermarket. Michael Douglas plays lawyer/ruthless Businessman/jealous husband very well but it's his quirky little performances like this (and much like the one in the one in Wonderboys) that I love him for. I liked the story, I liked the pace, acting and premise, it was subtle, sweet and thoroughly entertaining. Without spoiling the story-line for anyone, there is a particularly strong scene here that is brutal but handled with amazing tact, it is real credit to Mike Cahill's thoughtful direction. 'From the makers of Sideways', you decide whether or not that tag line appeals to you or not and act accordingly, my rating maybe a little generous but it does reflect how much I enjoyed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment