Tuesday 23 June 2015



Melancholia
Dir: Lars von Trier
2011
*****
Melancholia is probably the most depressing film of all time (well, it is part of Von Trier's Depression Trilogy after all) but then misery has never looked so good, needless to sat, this old miserable bastard loved it. It's pure Lars Von Trier. I'm already a fan, I'm one of the few that actually liked Antichrist too. I think Von Trier will always be misunderstood, even when he's poking fun he's taken too seriously. Melancholia is a study (or a meditation as some have put it) of depression and melancholy and the very thin line between the two. I'm not going to go into detail because I don't want to spoil it but anyone who knows and likes Von Trier need not worry if they're going to like it or not. I think it's fair to say you either love or hate rather than like or dislike this kind of film but on declaring this the most depressing film I've ever seen I will also point out that it is also one of the most beautiful, exciting, climactic (no one does endings like Von Trier) and engaging films I've ever seen. Von Trier has always been one of my favourite directors but adding this to his body of work he may just be the favourite now. I adore it.

No comments:

Post a Comment