Tuesday 2 June 2015

Monkey Business
Dir: Norman Z. McLeod
1931
****
The Marx Brothers' forth film, 1931's Monkey Business, is almost a perfect example of how to do slap-stick and the art of the one-liner but it was made just before they reached the pinnacle of their game and really fine-tuned their act. I base my opinions on the very high standards of the Marx Brothers themselves. I'll be honest, it's perfect apart from the inclusion of Zeppo who wisely stepped down after making two further films.
It's got one of my favourite dialogues from all of the Marx Brothers films:


Captain: One of them goes around with a black moustache.
Groucho: So do I; if I had my choice, I'd go around with a little blonde.
Captain: I said, one goes around with a black moustache.
Groucho: Well, you couldn't expect a moustache to go around by itself. Don't you think a moustache ever gets lonely, Captain?
Chico: Hey, sure it gets-a lonely. Hey, when my grandfather's beard gets here, I'd like it to meet your moustache.
Groucho: Well, I'll think it over; I'll talk it over with my moustache. Tell me, has your grandfather's beard got any money?
Chico: Money? Why, he fell hair to a fortune.

No comments:

Post a Comment