Monday 22 June 2015

Revolutionary Road
Dir: Sam Mendes
2008
***
I loved the book, I liked the film but I've got to say I hated the direction. Sam Mendes really didn't capture the true essence of what I felt when reading the book. Sure it was well paced, well acted and the 50's style well realised, I just feel he missed the point somewhat. It is a dark novel written by a bitter man and the film just wasn't dark enough, there should have been more of a contrast between hope and despair. I also hated the soundtrack. Concentrating on the good aspects though, props to the props, the performances were good esp Michael Shannon's and the final scene was kept as it was in the book, although not with the same impact. I could go on forever about what I didn't like about the film version but in the end of the day they are just a bunch of niggles as I overall did like it and would recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment