Monday 22 June 2015

Shrek
Dir: Andrew Adamson, Vicky Jenson
2001
*
2001's Shrek was released in 2001 to much success. Featuring the voice talents of Mike Myers, Eddie Murphy, John Lithgow and Cameron Diaz and containing every popular fairy-tale character ever written, it appealed to viewers young and old. I confess I absolutely hate it. I didn't think much of the animation at the time and I don't think it's dated well at all. It may well have been cutting edge at the time but the story itself, that I think could have worked with more creative writers, was so lifeless and boring, you wonder how they could have got it so wrong considering they had every fairytale to work from. Once again, the big condescending message (never judge a book by its cover, beauty is skin deep) is contradicted by the fact that the Princess is actually an ogre after all (so stick with your own kind kids!). Hate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment