Thursday 25 June 2015



Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow
Dir: Kerry Conran
2004
***
I have to say that Kerry Conran's Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow wasn't half as bad as I'd been lead to believe. Apart from some very dodgy blue-screen towards the beginning of the film (and throughout to be fair) this film had a certain charm to it. It doesn't quite achieve what it set out to do, I think this is unfortunate because if they'd waited a few more years then the technology that would have really made the film look as it was supposed to would have been available. Some of the effects are still brilliant though, and the 1950's inspired set pieces and designs are pretty cool and are a fitting homage to the Pulp magazines and Golden Age comics that have inspired it. I found the dialogue between Jude Law and Gwyneth Paltrow to be quite lively, if not a little quirky, which really worked. The last line of the film was brilliant and shows that it's not to be taken too seriously but to be enjoyed for what it is, a fun adventure film. I have to say I was entertained throughout and pleasantly surprised.

No comments:

Post a Comment