Tuesday 2 June 2015

The Skin I Live In
Dir: Pedro Almodóvar
2011
*****
The Skin I Live In was not at all what I was expecting at all, however it exceeded my expectations that were already pretty high. It's strange, it did and it didn't feel like a Pedro Almodóvar film. So I wasn't surprised when I realised it was based on Thierry Jonquet's novel Tarantula and I can see why he would want to bring the story to the big screen. I also don't think anyone else could have done so without it turning into something it isn't. This isn't about deviancy, torture or even sex really, this is about obsession and the lengths it can lead to and the madness that can come from it. The story is nothing but compelling throughout and I can't say I saw the twist coming at all, it certainly didn't matter that it comes halfway through either. It's one of the best thrillers I've ever seen, a future classic for sure and definitely one of Almodóvar's best films to date. I'm a fan of his but his recent work blows his old stuff out the water, his evolution as a film maker has never been anything less than fascinating. One of the best films of 2011 by a mile.

No comments:

Post a Comment