Thursday 11 June 2015

VernonFlorida
Dir: Errol Morris
1981
****
VernonFlorida may seem a little unfair at times as it may seem like it is just another excuse to laugh at other people's expense but I would argue that there is an innocence about it. Much like his earlier film Gates of Heaven, Errol Morris doesn't interfere and instead, lets the subjects have full reign. The people he films are genuinely funny because of what they are saying and the way that they say it but I don't feel they were taken advantage of. Not much anyway. I never once laughed at anyone's stupidity, far from it, I was envious of their passion, particularly the man who talks endlessly of the joys of Turkey Hunting. I love my films but I'm not as much as that guy loves killing Turkeys. It oozes charm and innocents, its a lovely short film and a great introduction to Morris' documentary style.

No comments:

Post a Comment