Wednesday 22 July 2015



Rebel Without a Cause
Dir: Nicholas Ray
1955
****
While Rebel without a cause is not the best film on the subject of 1950's post-war juvenile delinquency, it's certainly not the worst, it's just the most mainstream and that is why the message got across and hit the right nerves with the public. It was an important movie of its time but it's relevance has been lost somewhat. I love it visually, I love the 50's, I love James Dean and it's one of the first real film for the adolescent. I'm a huge Nicholas Ray fan but the story is somewhat flawed and unfortunately a little dated, especially when you compare it to his other great films, 1956's Bigger Than Life in particular, which owes a debt to Rebel Without a Cause in that respect. I suppose you could argue that in many ways it has stood the test of time but I would counter-argue that it is for all the wrong reasons. It's a beautifully directed film and I love Jim Backus, I give it 4 stars but not for the reasons it's usually regarded for.

No comments:

Post a Comment