Wednesday 30 September 2015

Margot at the Wedding
Dir: Noah Baumbach
2007
**
I really liked Noah Baumbach's 2005 comedy drama The Squid and the Whale and was really looking forward to his follow up, especially after all the hype but I have to say, I was bitterly disappointed. I liked the cast, every performance was first rate, even though that often meant that they all played 'annoying' rather well. You know a film isn't great when Jack Black is the light relief though and as well shot as this film is, it's also very shallow and devoid of substance. I'm a firm believer that films don't necessarily have to have a point but I do think they should be at least be entertaining if they don't. This obsession with young boys masturbating is getting a little tiresome as well, please Stop it Mr. Baumbach. The Squid and the Whale was a great film but Margot at the Wedding gives Independent American cinema a bad name in my book. Only worth watching for the ever wonderful Jennifer Jason Leigh in my opinion, the rest I'm afraid is irritating, boring at best.

No comments:

Post a Comment