Friday 2 October 2015

The Town
Dir: Ben Affleck
2010
***
I have to say I'm impressed with Ben Affleck's directional talents. He's not such a bad actor either but to do both well in what was only his second film as director is commendable. The Town is a decent heist film with a great cast including Chris Cooper, Jeremy Renner, Rebecca Hall and Affleck himself, all giving great performances. It is also the penultimate film of the great Pete Postlethwaite and almost certainly his last great role.  Afflecks composition and cinematography work is impressive and it is fair to say I was entertained throughout, however, due to all the hype the film received I have to say I expected more. The story is solid but just a little too wishy washy. I can't say I have much sympathy for armed bank-robbers, no matter how charming they may be, they just didn't win me over. The concluding last scene was quite disappointing considering the exciting build up that lead to it and much like Affleck's debut Gone, Baby Gone, I would have liked a darker and grittier ending but all in all, it is a decent enough crime thriller, just not particularly original or groundbreaking, but entertaining all the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment