Friday 9 October 2015

Wonder Man
Dir: H. Bruce Humberstone
1945
***
I was obsessed with Danny Kaye as a child after seeing his appearance in an original episode of The Muppet Show. The truth is, when my classmates were watching Star Wars again and again, I was watching Hans Christian Anderson religiously and The Secret Life of Walter Mitty regularly. However, I didn't see Wonder Man until I was much older and it burst a bubble somewhat. I would say it is fair to say that Danny Kaye's modern counterpart is Jim Carrey. Jim Carrey is great character actor and brilliant in his serious roles but when he 'goofs out' it makes my skin crawl and I can't stand him. Wonder Man sees Kaye go a little too far with his goofy comedy and I don't think he carries it particularly well. There was a tenancy to go into musical mode when the lead, such as Kaye, was capable of multitasking but it rarely works in Wonder Man, each musical number more convoluted than the last. However, I just can't help but love Danny Kaye, had it been any other actor then I think I would have hated it but I find his films irresistible. The special effects are impressive for the time and co-stars Virginia Mayo and Vera-Ellen are a delight.

No comments:

Post a Comment