Wednesday 16 December 2015

A Muppet Family Christmas
Dir: Peter Harris, Eric Till
1987
*****

I've seen pretty much everything the Muppets have ever produced and I really do love it all. I even liked Muppets' Wizard of Oz, parts of it anyway. Choosing a favorite is near impossible and I feel somewhat despicable trying, like choosing a favorite Grandparent. The truth is they are all very dear to my heart and easily what I enjoyed most during childhood. I lean towards the early films due to Jim Henson's involvement but, even thought it wasn't always brilliant, the team have kept it together since his untimely death in 1990 and the brand is going strong. The Muppets have made several Christmas specials and The Muppets Christmas Carol always seems to top both their Christmas special and movie lists nearly every time. As much as I love it, I don't think The Muppets Christmas Carol is the best Muppet movie of all time. I'm going to be despicably honest now and declare that I don't even think The Muppets Christmas Carol is their best Christmas film. Maybe it's because it stars Jim and maybe it's because it came first, but for me 1987's A Muppet Family Christmas is essential seasonal viewing. I'd rather not but I could do without watching The Muppets Christmas Carol for one Christmas. I could skip 1947's Miracle on 34th Street, I could avoid It's a Wonderful Life and I could try and not watch A Charlie Brown Christmas for the first time in my life during the festive holiday but I can't (and won't) not watch A Muppet Family Christmas on Christmas Eve. Ever. If you're a Christmas nut then it has everything you could want. It covers what the season is all about, how many feel at the time of year and what it means to most people. Great. However, I'm not a Christmas nut, I'm a Muppet nut. The reason I and other 'Muppettes' (I'm claiming coining rights on that one) and Jim Henson fans love A Muppet Family Christmas is because it features not just the Muppets but the Fraggles, Sesame Street gang and Muppet Babies too. This only happened once and it is a joy to behold. A Muppet Family Christmas also features a brief cameo from Jim Henson himself, there among his beloved creations, it's become quite a beautiful and poignant scene. Genuine tears, absolute joy and warm waves of nostalgia. If it were a drug it would be illegal. It has everything you could possibly want and is the epitome of a Christmas special done right. When you hear the term 'uncut' will probably think of horror or naughty films but the sad truth is that a DVD version in it's uncut purity still remains unreleased. My old VHS version is starting to wear thin, there is a release campaign happening though, to get involved click here: https://www.facebook.com/Campaign-for-Eventual-Muppet-Family-Christmas-DVD-Release-156075031146689/timeline. I've said it before and I'll say it again, if every child had watched the Muppets as a Child they'd be peace across the land. I truly believe that.

No comments:

Post a Comment