Thursday 10 December 2015

Dean Spanley
Dir: Toa Fraser
2008
*****
Perseverance is key with Toa Fraser's adaptation of Lord Dunsany's My Talks with Dean Spanley as it does start off a little slow and you start to wonder where it is all leading, if anywhere at all. However, I never lost interest as it was intriguing from the very beginning and looked beautiful throughout. The great performance from Peter O'Toole and the strong support from Sam Neill, Bryan Brown and Jeremy Northam should be enough for anyone who has concerns but if that's not enough then I'll say this; 2008's Dean Stanley is one of the most wonderful films I have ever seen. The script and delivery is delightful. There is a genuine magic about the film that gives off such a warmth that I believe this film is comparable to greats such as Capra's It's a Wonderful Life, indeed, I see it as the perfect alternative Christmas film. The conclusion is totally unexpected, fantastical, nonsensical and like I said before, rather magical. If its magic doesn't work on you then something is terribly wrong. It's the film equivalent of sitting by a fire on a winter's evening, glass of whiskey in one hand and no work tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment