Thursday 24 December 2015

Elf
Dir: Jon Favreau
2003
***
I dislike Will Ferrell immensely. I pretty much hate him in nearly every film he's ever been in for the exception of two; Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy and Elf. It's not that I don't even not hate in this either, I actually like him and think he's on top form. However, that's not to say he isn't just that little bit annoying in places. It's bizarre though, a film in which I like Will Ferrell also sees two dependable actors that I like; James Caan and Mary Steenburgen, display fairly poor performances. You win some, you lose some. I still don't like Zooey Deschanel, although she is at her least hateful in this festive treat. It's all rather funny. The North Pole scenes are arguably the best of the whole film. I particularly liked the scenes whereby Ferrell is larger than everyone else. This is great in the initial introduction when it becomes clear, to everyone but Elf, that he is not an Elf but is also embellished upon and used wisely later on in the film, rather than shamelessly taken advantage of. It's not a repetitive joke. I also loved the mix of live action and stop-motion animation and genuinely struggle to think of any other film where the method has worked as well. The story isn't as strong in the second half but the brilliant Peter Dinklage more than makes up for it. A Will Ferrell/Christmas film I can watch more than once? Who would have thought?

No comments:

Post a Comment