Tuesday 22 December 2015

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
Dir: Jeremiah S. Chechik
1989
***
In my opinion, National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation was one Vacation too far. They traveled America and they traveled Europe, I just don't think the Griswold's are ever really in their element unless they are going somewhere. However, as a comedy Christmas film it is fine. This is of course nostalgia telling me so. It's not a particularly funny film or a particularly well made ofilm but, I still have a soft spot for it. It's been copied many times since and is yet to be matched. Who doesn't find Chevy Chase funny (especially in his 80's prime) and who doesn't love Beverly D'Angelo? No one I'd care to meet. The fact that the Griswolds don't go anywhere is ever so slightly made up for by the addition of Randy Quaid (with notable credits to Nicholas Guest and Julia Louis-Dreyfus). It's silly, cliche and plays on mythical stereotypes but for some reason it gets away with it, like many an 80's film does. It also has probably the best ending to a Christmas film ever and I include It's a Wonderful Life in that statement.

No comments:

Post a Comment