Wednesday 23 December 2015

Scrooge
Dir: Ronald Neame
1970
****
If you were to ask me what my favourite classical adaptation of Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol that didn't include Muppets was, I'd have to say Ronald Neame's 1970 version, starring Albert Finney in the title role. This is the first version I remember and this is the version I watched before Bill Murray's Scrooged and the Muppets' (arguably the definitive version) were made. Murray and Kermit stole its thunder for me somewhat and it was suddenly no longer essential annual viewing but I do like to revisit it every other year of so at Christmas. The set pieces are phenomenal, from the snowy main street to the bountiful banquet halls, every scene comes alive and is exactly as I imagined it when reading the classic novel. When a film starts with an illustrated title sequence by the late great Ronald Searle you generally know you are in for a treat. It works rather well as a musical too, most hardcore Dickens fan agree, with many a great sing-song to be had. I thought they got each of the ghosts just right too, with the Ghost of Christmas future being the most terrifying thing I'd ever seen as a child. This version of the Ghost of Christmas is by far my favourite of all the adaptions made. A Christmas classic that I remember making me feel warm and terrified in equal measure and if there are two things anyone could ever ask for during the festive season, it's warmth and terror.

No comments:

Post a Comment