Tuesday 8 December 2015

The Holiday
Dir: Nancy Meyers
2006
*
The script is horrible, the story is unimaginative and silly, the performances are embarrassing and after a sadistic 138 minutes there isn't even a sodding conclusion. This was a hard film to get through. I quite like Nancy Meyers' early films but her more recent films make me want to set fire to things. Flustered women, vacuous men and twisted idealism, it's actually quite insulting if you concentrate and I am both astonished and unsurprised that it was ever green-lit. It still puzzles me how people lap this sort of thing up but that's just me. I'd like to see Nancy Meyers write a romantic movie whereby the male isn't successful or wealthy for a change. Joe Hutshing needs to wake up and get cutting, his editing is abysmal and brings nearly every single film he's worked on down. An alternative Christmas film for people I hope I never have to ever spend Christmas with.

No comments:

Post a Comment