Friday 4 March 2016

The Human Centipede (First Sequence)
Dir: Tom Six
2009
***
Tom Six's The Human Centipede has become quite infamous since its release in 2009. People who have seen it have been just as disgusted by it then the people who haven't, which makes a change. The Human Centipede (First Sequence) is highly original in its concept (a mad scientist kidnaps three individuals and joins them, mouth to anus, to see if they can become 'one') and Mr Six has pushed many boundaries, which in many respects, should always be encouraged. Unfortunately, it is also a little clichéd, especially towards the end of the film and the story suffers because of it. It's either brilliant or complete rubbish, I haven't quite made up my mind, so I'm going to sit on the fence and rate it straight down the middle this time and simply highlight what I like and what I didn't about it. It is visually rich. Tom Six has the eye of a great visual director. It is provocative. Why make a horror that isn't truly horrible? The film is also somewhat subjective, I do wonder if there is a bigger message here, maybe one that won't become totally clear until we've seen the trilogy in its entirety. Of course, it could just be sensationalist filth. The film did get a little predictable and as I've said previously, a little cliché, maybe even a little mainstream, towards the conclusion. I have a feeling this needs to be viewed as part of a bigger picture. It's repulsive art. Possibly.

No comments:

Post a Comment