Tuesday 17 May 2016

Metallica Through the Never
Dir: Nimród Antal
2013
**
Metallica's 2013 film Through the Never is an odd mix of music video and concert footage. The concert footage is supposed to take place in one night but it is in fact footage shot over two, first in Vancouver and then in Edmonton, during their 2012 tour. Between songs we follow the silent and somewhat surreal quest of the bands runner who is sent out to fetch a bag that 'has something the band wants in it' from a truck that has run out of petrol somewhere on route to the stadium. The runner, played by Dane DeHaan, first gets hit by a car and then suddenly finds himself in the middle of a riot. He then sets himself on fire, fights people and then takes on a cyber-punk knight on horseback, all because he really really likes Metallica presumably. The interweaving video changes according to what track is playing and eagle-eyed fans of the band will enjoy spotting the many song references scattered along the way. It's beautifully shot and is just the sort of thing you'd expect from a rock video. The concert footage is also very impressive, although I'm not a big fan of these huge middle of the stadium open-plan stages the band do have a special way of filling a stage. What it really comes down to it though is whether or not you like Metallica? I'm not a huge fan but I don't hate them, I caught them at a festival a few years back and I enjoyed watching them for a while before I went to go see another band. I can't deny they rock. So it's a great shame then that after creating something that I'm sure is irresistible to fans that they would then stage a fake on stage accident to conjure a sense of false drama. It's a bit gimmicky for a band as prestigious and respected as they are. I asked myself whether I would have liked it if it was my favourite band on stage, if they had created the same concept, and while I think it could be pretty cool, they're just not that kind of band and if I'm being honest I'd much rather go see them live or watch a standard recording of one of their gigs.

No comments:

Post a Comment