Friday 21 October 2016

Howl's Moving Castle
Dir: Hayao Miyazaki
2004
***
I remember reading Diana Wynne Jones' Howl's Moving Castle back when I was in school. I was bewitched by the original cover artwork that made it look like a sci-fi fantasy horror, which I was really into at the time. However, it was not the Isaac Asimov/Philip K. Dick novel I had thought it might be, or the Joseph Millard/Andre Norton book I really hoped it would be. I remembered little about it other than the lesson that I shouldn't judge a book by its cover. So when in 2004 Studio Ghibli released Howl's Moving Castle, I thought maybe it was a coincidence or maybe it was named out of tribute, as Hayao Miyazaki often does for those that have inspired him. But no, this is an adaptation, Miyazaki clearly saw something in the story that no one else did and I have to say it is a remarkable achievement. That said, I didn't like it all that much, especially compared to Ghibli's other films. I thought that the story was far too similar to some of Ghibli/Miyazaki's earlier films and I thought many of the themes had already been covered by them in a much more creative manner. Miyazaki has declared that this is his favourite film of his, personally it is by far my least favourite of his, even though his underlying themes appeal. They're not initially obvious though, I did see the film as anti-war in places but he has declared many times that his version of Howl's Moving Castle is a direct reference to the US's invasion of Iraq in 2003. Miyazaki was 'enraged' by the war and said he wanted to make a subliminal film about it that would be hated in America. It wasn't hated but it is no one’s favourite other than his, so it kind of backfired but was also somewhat of a success at the same time. The original book dealt with the class system and challenged gender stereotyping but the film concentrates more with themes of old age. Stop fighting and cherish life is the overall message but it does seem to take a rather convoluted route in getting it across. I think a really strong sci-fi fantasy has been weighted down somewhat with too many musings and moral preaching, something Ghibli has often done but their beautiful subtlety that is something of a signature of theirs is absent without leave. To be blunt, I didn't care much for the style or animation either. However, I did like many of the various characters and I liked Miyazaki's intentions. He has made a rather dull book into a exciting and mysterious adventure so credit due. He is a visionary and this is another great addition to his work but it isn't the genius that we've become used to.

No comments:

Post a Comment