Friday 20 January 2017

Jim: The James Foley Story
Dir: Brian Oakes
2016
***
James Foley was one of those mysterious enigmas who chose to put themselves in some of the most dangerous places on earth, all in the name of journalism. It is natural to question his decisions, why he would put his family and friends through such fear and stress and why place himself in such danger. The truth is we need people like Jim, people who have that mysterious stuff that drive them to seek out the vital truth, so that we at home can build a better picture of what is really happening in the world, which we need in a modern and democratic world of understanding. I don't understand what it is that drives people like him just like I don't know what it's like being a maths genius or what it's like to feel a phantom limb and to be honest, I'm not sure Brian Oakes really ever comes close to explaining it in his documentary, I think it is just one of those things you get if you are one of those people. I'm not a huge fan of this style of documentary if I'm being honest but Oakes does cut to the chase and the turn of events are explained in a clear and precise manner. The interviews with Tim's family, friends and colleagues are very honest and help paint a clear picture of the man he was, although towards the end of the film he does turn into something of a Jesus figure which I think damages the overall story. It doesn't surprise me that his loved ones are heartbroken and I expected to see that in the film, I have every sympathy for and can't imagine what it must be like for them, but I felt the crux of the film, the question what drives someone to go back into a war zone after they had already been captured once before, was left by the wayside and almost forgotten by the end credits. Without wanting to sound like an emotionless ass, I feel that this should have been a more factual document, rather than a personal one. I believe that important issues were either cut or left out and what started out as a story turned into a memorial. Again, I don't want to sound like an emotionless ass but I think the film could have addressed the balance more effectively than it does. He was clearly a forward thinking and intelligent man, and I wonder whether he would have wanted a film all about him or a film all about what led to him being where he was, who it was that had killed him and a more in depth analysis of the ongoing struggle against ISIS. I take my hat off to the guy, I really do, I just think a more in-depth film would have been a better tribute although there is a lot to learn from the film as it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment