Monday 6 February 2017

Imperium
Dir: Daniel Ragussis
2016
***
Daniel Ragussis's 2016 film Imperium is a sizzling thriller about a FBI agent who goes undercover to infiltrate a White Supremacist Group believed to have the intention to commit acts of terrorism. It's quite a timely story, with the far right very much on the rise and acts of terrorism (although they're not always reported as such) being committed by home-grown Neo-Nazis who often go by various different names. It's pretty frightening stuff, given that there is an element of truth behind it. The role of FBI agent disguised as Neo-Nazi went to Daniel Radcliffe who is understandably trying to shake off any kind of stereotyping. Since the Harry Potter series ended, Radcliffe has made a Hamer horror, has portrayed cult beat poet Allen Ginsberg, has played the devil (sort of), Igor of Frankenstein fame and has even played a dead body. Basically, he's trying to get as far away from the squeaky-clean child wizard that made him famous, as much as he possibly can. Who could blame him, life goes on and typecasting is death in the film business. However, he's trying way too hard. Imperium has a great story and should have been a great thriller. It's good but I'm afraid Radcliffe's involvement is far too distracting. I personally don't think he's a strong enough actor to deal with these big roles, I can see why he'd want to do them and why people would want to hire him but the film really suffers from his inclusion. I didn't see a young FBI agent, I saw Daniel Radcliffe. Bizarrely, it was harder to take him seriously as an FBI agent than it was a Neo-Nazi, although the only difference was a t-shirt, hair-cut and glasses. Perfecting an accent isn't the same as giving a believable performance, at no point did I find the film convincing. It wasn't pleasant seeing his performance among stronger ones, given with gusto by much better actors. I can't overlook the other performances, the direction and the brilliant story, but my enjoyment was always limited. I sound harsh I know and it’s not that I see Radcliffe as Harry Potter either, I don't, I also like him, I just don't think he's there yet, he was running before he could walk. Such a story deserved a little more muscle and Radcliffe didn't deliver. As the tiresome media stories went at the time of its release, this film was about 'Potter as a Nazi' which I probably haven't helped but I'm afraid them the facts of the matter. It's not fair but until he gives an amazing performance worth of his fame it's the way it's going to be, I'm the first one to say I hope it happens soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment