Monday 13 February 2017

The Lego Batman Movie
Dir: Chris McKay
2017
****
I liked 2014's The Lego Movie but I was somewhat disappointed by Lego Batman: The Movie, which limped straight to DVD in 2013. Considering the computer game versions of Lego DC (and all the other film tie-ins) were so good, I thought they could have come up with something a little funnier but they have clearly learned from their mistakes. The Lego Movie understood how people play with Lego and the computer games understood the passion of geekdom when adapting people's favourite films, while also developing their own distinct humour that works perfectly as both tribute and spoof, recognizing that a Lego copy of anything can never be approached too seriously. Lego's marketing department is probably the best in the world right now. In adapting Batman in their unique style, Lego have opened up several options for themselves and have added crazy ideas from other films and genres because you can do that with Lego. Batman in joined by many other characters, including some from Harry Potter, The Lord of the Rings and even Doctor Who but it is the comprehensive collection of Batman characters that impresses the most here. I expected the continuation of feud between Will Arnet's Batman and Channing Tatum's Superman from their last outing together and I thought and hoped we'd see a few of Batman's classical arch-enemies but I never thought we'd see all of them. They even had Condiment Man, who only the hardened Bat-fan will have recognized. The attention to detail was astonishing and the various references to everything Bat was mind-boggling. It is a serious trip for any Batman/DC nerd who considers themselves something of an expert or super-fan. Every single Bat-mobile could be seen, every costume, every film and TV show referenced and it even featured Shark Repellent. The Lego Batman Movie is like asking for a slice of delicious cake and then getting the whole cake. My sister took my young Nephew to see it and they both loved it. My sister knows nothing about Batman but seems to have enjoyed it as much as I did because you enjoyment of it won't be based on your knowledge or nerd credentials. It's funny in its own right, mainly due to the characters being exaggerations of what people know about them and superhero films in general but also because there is a distinct silliness about it that everyone can enjoy. Its kids playing with their toys. That said though, there are certain things that slip through the net, for example, in one scene the city is under attack by a whole host of foes, buildings are either falling down or on fire and Godzilla and King Kong are raining terror on the Lego people of Gotham. We see the city-folk watch in terror when one opportunistic chap runs off, declaring 'I'm going to start looting'. I struggle to think of any other kid’s film where they could get away with something like that, it was brilliant. It appealed to me on so many levels, I loved it as a DC fan, a comics fan, a Batman and Superman fan, a Lego fan mostly as a fan of silly. I could list all of my personal highlights but it would be like re-writing the screenplay, it is all one big highlight. I can't resist though, I'll keep it short: Billy Dee Williams as Harvey Two-Face, The Fortress of Solitude scene (complete with music), DJ Krypto, the Suicide Squad put-downs and everything that Michael Cera's Robin/Knightwing did and said. Joyous.

No comments:

Post a Comment