Monday 10 April 2017

The Shallows
Dir: Jaume Collet-Serra
2016
***
Jaume Collet-Serra's 2016 thriller is probably the best shark film since Jaws. However, that's not really a bold statement, given that pretty much every shark film made since Jaws has been close to awful. The only other great shark film I can think of is Chris Kentis's Open Water, The Reef coming a close second but with heaps of flaws. I should point out that when I say best I really mean serious, the best shark films in my opinion are the over the top ridiculous ones. Shark Attack 3:Megalodon is amazing, absolutely awful but brilliant at the same time. We all know that sharks aren't really the big horrible monsters they are made out to be, they do occasionally attack but only as every other animal in the world might, they're only real flaw is that they don't look cute. They are the perfect movie villain, just behind us Englishmen. Back to The Shallows though, Jaume Collet-Serra has decided to go serious with his shark film, serious to a point that is. The first half of the film is pure thriller, a simple situation with a puzzle to solve. Blake Lively, who gives a great performance - probably the best in the genre - has said in interviews that her inspiration for doing the film was thanks to her boyfriend Ryan Reynold's work in the similarly minimalist film Buried (2010) stating "That was one of the reasons why I wanted to take on this movie so much, because I know how tough that was for him and how rewarding it was". I think Blake Lively is a phenomenal actor, she was brilliant in The Age of Adaline and having a good actress rather than just a 'scream-queen' in this thriller setting was crucial in getting the tone right. That said, I think there was far too much leering going on, the constant camera panning to her bottom region was unnecessary and rather childish but anyhow, she was brilliant in what is practically a one character film. It is thrilling, the feelings of dread, suspense and anticipation are duly unbearable and are in all the right places. It is also stunning. The visuals are utterly beautiful and some of the underwater photography is by far the best I've ever seen. This is also crucial for the film to work, some of the CGI is a little shaky, but there is nothing wrong with the direction. However, just when the film gets to the point where you just can't tell what is going to happen next, it gets rather silly indeed. It's not quite Sharknado silly but it does get a little Tom & Jerry in places and one scene in particular was straight out of The Little Mermaid (the scene where she is chased by the shark, it is almost frame for frame identical). I can see why a lot of people hate it, particularly the last scene featuring the shark, it's not great but the sharksploitation fan in me thought it was pretty cool, even though it was pretty damn stupid. I think though that the last half of the film forgot the golden rule of shark films and that is the less you see the scarier they are. I wasn't scared of the shark at all, and Jaws gave me recurring nightmares well into adulthood to the point that I wouldn't close my eyes in the bath. I'm not sure I liked the final conclusion of the film, I didn't really fit within the horror or thriller genres and it was a little boring. Still, overall it was a pleasant mix, I certainly appreciated the mix of serious and silly but I can see how many would be put off by it, and by trying to please two types of shark watchers, they could end up pleasing no one. No one can deny how beautiful it looks though, and it does have some respectable key attack scenes that I'm sure will appeal everyone interested in the genre. Above average for sure, which is very rare for shark film.

No comments:

Post a Comment