Tuesday 4 July 2017

Collateral Beauty
Dir: David Frankel
2016
***
Collateral Beauty received harsh criticism upon its release, criticism I don’t think it deserved. While I agree it’s not the best film of 2016, far from it, but actually there is plenty to like about it, and maybe even something to love. The biggest criticism I’ve heard is that Will Smith is wasted in his performance. This is nonsense. Sure, we all love Smith in his Fresh Prince persona, and he does spend an awful lot of the film crying and in silence, but he totally convinced me of the character he was playing. Hugh Jackman was actually cast before Smith but had to pull out, so I wonder what his performance would have been like, how the public would have taken it and what the criticism would have been, if any? Johnny Depp was second choice before Smith, just imagine how horrible it could have been? I’ve heard many a critic’s review start with the line “Will Smith is a great actor…” but then they go on to suggest the film wasn’t wright for him “…blah blah blah….Seven Pounds….After Earth…Concussion…”. Essentially, they’re saying they’d rather see Smith in Romcoms, action and comedy, completely overlooking the fact that the man does great drama. It’s rather insulting really, especially after declaring how much of a fan they all are. Collateral Beauty has been unfairly judged by Smith’s last few films (not performances), and that’s the truth. Give me Concussion over Hitch any day of the week, the ailment as well as the film. Also, Seven Pounds is a great film, I know I’m the only one that thinks so but I stand by it, and Smith is great in both. Now Collateral Beauty does use an old idea but I think it updates it well. The twists were slightly convoluted I admit but after the obvious conclusions were reached there were still plenty of surprises I didn’t see coming, and I thought they added something quite wonderful to the completed film. I don’t think the poetry of the script comes out in the film as much as it could though, Smith’s character didn’t seem to match the profile of someone who would write to the concepts of Death, Love and Time. There were also quite a few sub-plots to the story, all of which I really liked but I’m not sure any were done justice by the constraints of a film’s typical timeframe. The ensemble cast is impressive, with Edward Norton, Keira Knightly, Kate Winslet, Helen Mirren, Jacob Latimore, Naomie Harris and Michael Pena given equal screen time but never enough for the actors to fully build on. While I thought the direction was adequate, I’m not sure David Frankel was the best choice. Frankel does light entertainment, he doesn’t do serious drama, I liked The Big Year and didn’t hate Hope Springs but I haven’t quite forgiven him for Marley & Me. Personally, I think Collateral Beauty could and should have been a successful mini-series. I also think the title is horrible and should have never been chosen. Everything else about it just needed adding to and tweaking, it’s a wonderful story that was placed in the wrong hands. Alfonso Gomez-Rejon was attached to direct before Frankel, and Jason Segal was also mooted as the lead, it was between him, Depp and Smith after Jackamn left, suggesting to me that the studio didn’t have a clue of what direction they wanted the film to go down. However, I believe there are still aspect of the film that can be enjoyed. Smith’s father was dying while he was preparing for the role, he used his grief in his performance and he used it better himself and to help others. Will Smith is a bloody marvellous man. He also said "If we are all judged by the company we keep ... then I want this cast with me for life!". The comradery shows. The film didn’t become just another studio pay check for the cast, it is clear to me it meant something to all of them and each performance is convincing, and I’m the most cynical person you’re ever likely to meet. I though the ending of the film was rather special. It works too, I went back and watched certain scenes and I can confirm that this is a twist that holds water. I think the fact that it wasn’t made into a mini-series is a bit of a wasted opportunity, the waste of a great story but the film is fine, no masterpiece but nowhere near as bad as people have suggested. The script is actually very strong, the dialogue and delivery make some of the lines contenders for best of the year, I kid you not. If you’re going to hate a film you should do so for the right reasons and I see nothing to hate about Collateral Beauty, other than I think it should have been longer and in a totally different format.

No comments:

Post a Comment