Tuesday 7 November 2017

Dear White People
Dir: Justin Simien
2014
****
Justin Simien’s comedy drama confused me at first because I found it hard to recognise its comedic style. It was obvious that it was a drama, I just wasn’t sure whether it was laced with satire or wry comedy. I believed the content to be a little extreme and thus concluded that it was a little over the top and forced to take too seriously, and then I realised it was based on several true events. It isn’t satire and it isn’t your common mainstream comedy, it’s believable and funny, in other words, funny because it’s true. I didn’t think the racial issues raised were relevant in today’s society, I’m shocked to learn that they are. I’m not denying racism, I see that all the time, it was some of the deeply rooted racism that we now overlook and take for granted that surprised me. The racism I have generally witnessed has been obvious, so it was fascinating to see where else it lurks in every day society. Dear White People asks a lot of questions and, rather refreshingly, doesn’t claim to know the answers or indeed go out of its why to try. I think racism, much like language, is slightly different wherever you go. I honesty couldn’t relate too much that was explored within a typical American Ivy League college, it isn’t nor has ever been, my world. However, I can see how aspects of it could translate to what I know and what I’ve witnessed in my life. It is interesting how, however you look at it, all those involved can seem like stereotypes. In the film, stereotype (which is closely related to racism) is explored through people who could have a stereotype attached to them, that isn’t about the colour of their skin either. Tessa Thompson is brilliant as Sam White, the classic conflicted student activist, a character long absent from film and television. Sam has a controversial radio show called Dear White People that critises white people for their conscious and unconscious racist transgressions and also black students for letting them get away with it. She generally gets it right but occasionally lets herself down by getting it wrong. She runs for head of house as a rival to ex-boyfriend Troy, a popular student from a privileged background who is also son of the University’s dean. Power goes to her head when she wins and her beliefs become compromised, all the while keeping her white lover a secret. It’s very clever and evenly balanced, with the end conclusion being the question ‘What the hell is going on?’. The story focuses largely on personal identity over cultural identity, which is surely the best scenario for everyone, but as the end titles show real life pictures of ‘Black face’ parties that have happened in campuses across the US, it is clear the debate is far from over – and in some cases far from even existing. This wouldn’t happen in the UK, so I still find it staggering and a little fearful. I believe Simien’s response to it is entirely appropriate and should, hopefully, be effective in developing the debate further. Indeed, the only white people I’ve heard criticize the film have been those that have read the title only (and have been outraged by it) and not actually watched the movie. I’m glad it has been developed into a television series as I can’t think of a film more worthy of one. Indeed, there was so much going on in the film (my only real criticism) that I feel television is the only way forward for the characters and subject, in order to keep it relevant and in the public consciousness. I think the film’s greatest achievement is that it shows that racism isn’t just a problem for those faced with it but a sickness of those who deliver it, whether they realise it or not. This might just be the first film based in a US college that actually depicts society as it really is.

No comments:

Post a Comment