Wednesday 8 November 2017

Places in the Heart
Dir: Robert Benton
1984
****
Robert Benton’s Places in the Heart is the director’s reflection on a time and a place in which he grew up, and as the title suggests, is a time that is very precious to him. However, it is probably best remembered for Sally Field’s acceptance speech when she won the Academy Award for best Actress for her role as Edna Spalding, the film’s lead character. It’s a shame really, even more so when her speech was taken out of context somewhat. She is remembered for the line: “I can't deny the fact that you like me...You really like me! Thank you." but the full speech was: "This means so much more to me this time, I don't know why. I think the first time I hardly felt it because it was all too new. But I want to 'thank you' to you. I haven't had an orthodox career. And I've wanted more than anything to have your respect. The first time I didn't feel it. But this time I feel it. And I can't deny the fact that you like me...You really like me! Thank you." Field was referring to her previous award, for her stand out performance in Norma Rae, which makes a lot more sense, and the full speech is far less gushy. The film also suffers a similar misconception because of it. While the film is far from perfect, it does have a lot going for it and it certainly bucked the trend among its contemporaries. Field plays the widow of the town’s sheriff. Her husband was shot accidently by a black boy who is subsequently lynched and dragged behind a truck in front of her house without so much as a raised eyebrow. This shocking introduction gives a bold and clear view as to how segregated life was like in depression-era Texas. Unfortunately, the initial impact is never matched and the plot becomes a little overcomplicated and dare I say, a little contrived in places, but on the whole it’s heart is pure. Field’s Edna finds herself in financial difficulty as many widows did, and is forced to take in a blind lodger ( played by John Malkovich). She also takes pity on a travelling black man (played by Danny Glover) who steals from her and soon enough the trio are farming cotton crops on her land. It’s all a bit fanciful but tender at the same time. The trio are challenged by greedy businessmen, greedy bank managers and the Ku Klux Klan, as well as the scorn of the town, but they somehow prevail. It’s very easy to tell a sugar-coated tale of the time although it can be a little heavy-handed at times, there is an ounce of honesty about how it is all handled, the characters do have misconceptions and prejudice and it isn’t all forgiveness and joy. In contrast to Edna’s story we also see a couple of friends of hers; Wayne Lomax (played by Ed Harris) and Viola Kelsey (played by Amy Madigan), partake in an extramarital affair. The characters and their partners interweave with the main story but personally, I never found this sub-plot ever worked in the bigger picture. The story is at its best when it is with Edna and just as something big happens, the film switches to characters I’m afraid I had no interest in. It is clear that they are included purely for the film’s rather over-ambitious and somewhat indulgent finale where we see every character of the film receive communion during a church service. Black sit with white, wives sit with mistresses, friends sit with enemies and Edna’s dead husband sits with the dead boy that shot him. It’s a powerful scene for sure and while I’m not religious, the people of the time were and so it is a fitting leveler. However, it doesn’t quite fit with the film’s overall narrative and it acts as a bizarre summary for a group of characters who have absolutely nothing in common. For me it unifies everyone as being naive, stupid and lost, rather than the statement that we are all the same in the eyes of God. Places in the Heart is Benton’s own indulgent exploration of nostalgia, full of wonderful scenes, none of which quite fit together. I like it but it floats somewhere between The Color Purple and To Kill A Mockingbird but without ever being quite as accomplished.

No comments:

Post a Comment