Sunday 31 December 2017

Top 10 - Films of 2017

So this is my first 'best films of the year' list. I wasn't going to ever do them but I do love making lists. I was going to start doing them once I'd seen over 100 films per year - most years I have (I'm still transferring my reviews from an old site) but so far this year I've only seen around 80. Anyway, enough of my life story. I think I've seen enough films this year to start this list but it is subject to change.

My person favorites of the year are as follows:


10. Okja

Heartwarming, heartbreaking and nearly made me a veggie. Another brilliant film by Bong Joon-ho.


9. Logan

Told every other superhero/comic film to up their game and made a grown man cry damn it.


8. Colossal

One of the years most overlooked films. An indie classic in the guise of a big monster movie, I loved every minute.


7. Mudbound

One of the most beautifully directed/edited films I've seen in a long time.


6. Thor: Ragnorok

Marvel has perfected the balance of humour, sci-fi, action and that certain je ne sais quoi. Getting Taika Waititi in to direct was an inspired decision.

5. The Death of Stalin

Armando Iannucci's historical satire, starring Steve Buscemi, Jason Isaacs, Michael Palin and Jeffrey Tambor is about as eclectic and ridiculous as you could ever hope for.


4. Prevenge

Wonderfully dark, funny and original. Alice Lowe is amazing.


3. The Other Side of Hope

Aki Kaurismäki is back and he's on fine form. Long may he continue.


2. Dunkirk

It was certainly the best war film of the year but then I think it was the only war film of the year. Forget that though, Dunkirk is one of the best war films of all time!


1. Blade Runner 2049

Expectations were high and I was so nervous they would mess it up. I adore the original film, it is one of my favorite films of all time and somehow Denis Villeneuve matched its greatness. Outstanding. Not only best film of the year but best of the decade so far. I nearly cried with joy.


Big shout out to the following films that almost made the list:

The Meyerowitz Stories (New and Selected)
A fantastic comedy/drama with stand out performances. Wish it had had a big screen showing though.
I Am Not Your Negro
A stunning documentry, compelling and vital viewing.
Guardians of the Galaxy 2
Funny as hell and even better than the first.
Trainspotting 2
I seriously nearly cried after watching it. It gave me nostalgic feelings and also told me to stop being so nostalgic. Blade Runner 2049 made this a short-lived experience but I still loved it.
Get Out
A wonderfully original horror/thriller

No comments:

Post a Comment