Thursday 18 January 2018

Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie
Dir: David Soren
2017
****
Based on the Children’s novel series written by Dav Pikey, Captain Underpants finally made it to the big screen after many years of development. Pikey was approached by Dreamworks Animaton back in 1997, just after the release of the first book but he was apprehensive about selling the film rights. Years later, Dreamworks invited Pikey to their head quarters for a tour and to his surprise was greated by every single member of staff wearing their underpants outside of their trousers. He was won over and Dreamworks got the gig. However, it took them seven years in total from gaining the rights to actually getting the film in cinemas. Weirdly, it was initially going to be a live-action film starring Pikey’s first choice of actor Chris Farley, but when Farley tragically died young the idea was scrapped and an animated version was wisely sought. I loved it. It will no doubt be remembered for being the last DreamWorks’ animation to be distributed by 20th Century-Fox before Universal take over but I think that people have been quite harsh towards DreamWorks. I think the amount of money these films are projected to make are ridiculous, I still can’t quite understand why a film that trebles it’s total cost and brings in $3 Million + is seen as a failure but I guess I’m not in that business. I think Dreamworks Animation have been on top form and the best they’ve ever been in the last few years, while many of their competitors have been a bit wobbly. I hated the Shrek and Madagascar films, I feel at long last Dreamworks is producing high-quality viewing, but most don’t see it that way because of the money they’re not making. The animated movie business is ridiculous. I digress. Captain Underpants is a wonderful adaptation that is both faithful to the original novels and rather inventive. The editing is is the best I’ve seen in this genre of movie and the way the story incorporates more traditional animation techniques, flash animation, cutout animation and an awesome sock-puppet scene, as well is its core 3D animation, is utterly brilliant. It’s the first film Dreamworks have outsourced and the cheapest they’ve produced - and by far the most creative. It is far from the disaster the money men will have you believe. It’s a wonderful celebration of creativity, the wonder of childhood and the importance of friendship, as well as a good lesson in the importance of being silly. The voice acting is perfect, with each actor suitably cast. If that wasn’t enough, it has nods to films such as Metropolis and Joe versus the Volcano, as well as a few Three Stooges references for the grown ups and a theme tune written and performed by none other than ‘Weird Al’ Yankovic. It’s the sort of film I wanted when I was a young child but one I’m very comfortable watching as an older child. I’ve been shouting “Lala laaaa” for several days since watching it and my wife is going nuts. What a great film.

No comments:

Post a Comment