Friday 6 October 2017


Blade Runner 2049
Dir: Denis Villeneuve
2017
*****
Like many film lovers, I regard Ridley Scott's 1982 noir epic Blade Runner as one of the greatest works of cinema ever committed to celluloid. It's one of those rare films whereby I become undefensively immersed by it, it engulfs my senses and films me with that hit of movie heroin so many other films wish they could administer. I adore everything about it. I watch it regularly and it never gets tired, indeed, there is always something new to see in it, another question to ask and there's always another treasure to find. The neon-noir vision of a dystopian future Earth, filled with the unfortunates who can't afford to live in luxury 'Off-World' is the perfect blend of Philip K. Dick literary vision and Fritz Lang's visual flare, but with all credit to Scott whose direction and writing were second to none. I listen to Vangelis's glorious soundtrack nearly every day - and that's no exaggeration - I can loose myself in his music just as much as I can watching the film, maybe even more so. The big question, among the many, was always whether Harrison Ford's Deckard was indeed a Replicant without even knowing it himself - the jury is still out, with Scott suggesting he is, Ford, like his character, not realizing this at the time and many a critic suggesting that the idea's ambiguity being the main reason the film is so revered. I'll be honest - I didn't want to know. I didn't want to know what happened to Deckard and Rachael, I agree with the critics, the film was open to interpretation, I'll liked both options and the open possibilities. I didn't want a sequel. If there had to be one, I always thought it should come from Scott himself, that was until 2012's Prometheus anyway, since then a Blade Runner sequel is the last film I wanted to see. The announcement came as a shock with far more anxiety than excitement. I wasn't a huge fan of Star Wars: The Force Awakens, I liked the new elements but I hated what they did with the old characters, especially Ford's Han Solo. He clearly had no love for the franchise and I did not want to see the same fate for Deckard. Denis Villeneuve is a great director, but I still didn't want anyone near my beloved Blade Runner. but of course I had to see it. I watched it through my fingers and my wife thought there was something wrong when she noticed that I hadn't touched my popcorn an hour into the film. When the final credits rolled up she looked at me with concern, knowing how much of a big deal this film was to me. I could have cried. That same feeling I had after watching the original for the first time was washing over me, the movie magic I crave was making its way through my veins and I was watching the credits roll up through a haze, not unlike post-coital bliss. Villeneuve's sequel was a true continuation of the story and something entirely new. I saw it in 2D, I think 3D might have finished me off. It's perfect in every detail, and I think it might just mark a new chapter in cinema, much like it's predecessor achieved back in 1982. Philip K. Dick didn't like the original film, it was far removed from his book 'Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep' and he died soon after seeing it, just before its release. I think he would have liked Blade Runner 2049, it's actually hard not to think he didn't write it himself. All of the subjects his book and the film explored are explored further for a future audience. Technology and the attitude towards Artificial Intelligence has changed since 1982, just as it would have between Dick/Scott's fictional 2019 to 2049. The world 'real' covers too much subject, this film is about what is genuine, which is exactly what fans of the original want from the sequel. All of the content that the fans loved in the first film is present in one way or another in the follow up. It is not a carbon copy, history does and doesn't repeat itself, as ideas are explored further and history is researched. My heart sank only once during the whole film when a certain technique was used that divides current audiences and has the possibility of being overused. This was addressed seconds later with a defiant, brutal and striking action that I'm sure was intended as a big statement on modern sci-fi cinema, one that nearly had me on my feet in ovation. In fact, the film is full of statements, some directed at the original film out of admiration but many directed at modern cinema as a whole. Blade Runner 2049 has raised the benchmark for sure. If ever a sequel was going to have such an impact, it had to be Blade Runner. The script is not as iconic as the original, I'm not sure you can beat the 'Tears in the rain' speech but then 2049 doesn't really try, its real triumph is in its silent scenes. It builds on the original film but it also develops its own strengths. I never would have guessed that I'd be saying it but Blade Runner 2049 stands shoulder to shoulder with the original. Star Wars take note! Ryan Gosling was perfect for the role and is brilliant. Ford clearly cares for Blade Runner (more than Star Wars anyway) and it really shows. Ana de Armas, Sylvia Hoeks, Robin Wright, Mackenzie Davis and Carla Juri are all exceptional in what is a refreshingly female-fronted film. Jared Leto makes amends for his portrayal as The Joker and there are a few surprise appearances that will keep fans of the original very happy. The soundtrack is something I was concerned with but Hans Zimmer and Benjamin Wallfisch developed Vangelis's cult original beautifully and I will certainly be listening to both religiously from now on. Blade Runner 2049 is a dream come true, everything I could want but never thought possible. I'm so happy I could cry and if this is anything to go by, the future of cinema is bright - if you're going to make a sequel then....don't, it'll never be as good as this. It is already one of my favorite films of all time.

No comments:

Post a Comment